CUPS

Share



Hi friends! Did you know that God is a person, with an actual personality, and you can actually get to know Him? And so many of us carry around these big misconceptions about what He's really like. I used to think that God tolerated me because I was His kid, and I should tread lightly as not to disturb Him too much. I was certain that you should only pray about the really BIG stuff because God was..well, pretty busy.. and only really cared about big, God-sized stuff.

It was back in 1999 and I was in the first week on my new job as studio manager for Audio Master. One morning, there were very important clients (V.I.C’s) coming in early for a session for some radio spots. This would be my first time meeting these clients and as the new manager, I wanted to make a great first impression. The first thing they did after depositing their brief cases in the studio was to come back upstairs and gather like vultures around the…wait for it….
Coffee pot.

I was on it. I learned how to make a pot of coffee just for this job, so I was quite proud the coffee was ready. Just one problem.
No cups.
I searched in every cabinet, under every counter and in every closet. I went into all 3 studios. The V.I.C’s were getting upset, and still standing around the coffee pot..waiting.
I couldn’t leave because I was the only person there besides the engineer doing the session. So I calmly asked the V.I.C’s to have a seat in the studio and I would bring them their coffee.
In my hands, I guess… All I knew was that somehow, I needed to make this happen.

I went back behind my desk and did what any baby Christian would do. I cried. Just a little. Then, I prayed right there at my desk in the reception lobby. Short and sweet and desperate. Please God help me find some cups. This job is important to me. And if You can’t do that, help me handle this in a way that wins them over. In Jesus’s Name, Amen.

A mili-second later, the door swings open and voiceover actor that I had met just a few days prior, walks in, awkwardly balancing the door open with one hand and carrying a large box in the other. “Hi Sheldon. What’s in the box?”, I quipped.
“Cups,” he said.
My mouth dropped open so that I was barely able to speak. Sheldon opened the box to show me the paper cups he used to advertise his business. They were white cups with blue letters that said, “Sheldon Smith Means Voiceovers”. He said he just happened to be in the area and wanted to drop them off…

Yeah ok Sheldon. You can believe that if you want.

That was the cup that forever changed my life. If God would seriously bend His ear to a girl like me asking for something so ridiculously unimportant, then He must be actually interested in me. And if God is interested in me like that, then He must really care about the details of my life- even the cups. And if He cares about the cups, surely He cares about the deepest longings of my heart.
Want proof?
“LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure.” – Psalm 16:5

What have been the "cups" in your life that showed you something about who God really is? Do you trust Him enough to even ask Him.. about cups?

His Girl,
Tracey

Comments :

2 comments to “CUPS”
Varsha said...
on 

Hey Tracey!

A few months ago, I had an instance when I was amazed by how God provided for me in such a "ridiculously unimportant" way. :)

I was on the way home from college for the weekend. I had taken the 2 hour bus ride as I normally do and just arrived at Vienna metro station. The one-way fare from Vienna to New Carrollton costs about $5.45...

Now, I knew that I did not have any money in my wallet..But for some reason, I was not freaking out. I kept reassuring myself that I would count my change and somehow would come up with the money, but the thought of begging for money by the farecard machine definitely crossed my mind.

As I was walking through the tunnel into the metro station, an older man was walking out and holding a farecard in the air saying "Does anybody need an unlimited one-day pass?" I was shocked. I walked up to him and he handed me the pass. All I could say was thank you, because I was so speechless. Looking back, I wish I had expressed more gratitude to that man and had let him know how much I really needed it. I knew right then and there that God knew my need and had provided for me. I immediately praised God. God took care of my need even though it was so ridiculously unimportant that I did not even think to ask for it. :)

~Varsha

don sands said...
on 

Christ surely loves His own more than we could ever know. Even when we die, and go to be with Him, there will be a mystery for us. God is infinite and knows all things, even the number of cancer cells in this world. He may allow a baby to receive one of these cancer cells, and take this little home, and leave the parents with grief, and yet He will be there to help them through their sadness and deep sorrow. The trials many of our fellow Christians endure always humble me.
thank our Lord for heros like Paul, who beaten like we could never know. And Peter, who was crucified upside down. And Joni, who has a broken neck for 40 years, and then has breast cancer hit her. Wow! Amazing how these wonderful examples for us help us carry on. And some day I may be the one with cancer. I would hope I would be able to praise our Savior with genuine honor if I do.

Have a great day in His sovereign grace and perfect righteousness. All for the Cross. Gal. 6:14

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment on our page. You can also email us: tmd@wrbs.com

Thanks, Tracey, Mike and Dave