Singled Out

Share


Hi friends!

I was on a cruise last week with my family and friends and one of the activities they had on the ship one night, was a salsa dance lesson. Now, I have to tell you.. I LOVE salsa music and love salsa dancing. Problem is- I really don't know how. But I am drawn to it and I've always wanted to learn. So I figured, it's a free lesson. Why not?

I show up to the class and it became obvious to me rather quickly, that I was the one and ONLY single person in the class. All couples. Nice, happy couples who wanted to learn how to dance together. Now this makes perfect sense, since salsa dancing is with two people.

I'm not really sure what I was expecting or why I was embarrassed. Perhaps I was hoping there would be just one other single person in the class. Or even a smurf or cyclops. It didn't much matter. Just someone who wasn't paired up and wanted to learn how to dance. On a boat with about 5,000 people on it- it seemed a reasonable hope.

But no.

The instructor told all the couples to spread out on the dance floor. I felt my cheeks turn blood red and I tried to slither off the floor, over to the side.. I was hoping that my luck would improve and maybe the floor would open up and swallow me whole.

But Hans, or Sven, or whatever the instructor's name was, saw me slithering, and in front of everyone, loudly, in a Scandanavian-ish accent said, "Where is your partner?"

Funny, I've been wondering that same thing for years.

I answered him like a little mouse. "I don't have a partner. It's ok. I'll just stand over here and watch".

"No!" he said. "You will dance with me."

And just like that, the girl with no partner, alone in a room full of shiny happy couples, was singled out to dance. Not with just anyone - with the Master.

Isaiah 54:4-5 says, "Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated....For your Maker is your husband— the LORD Almighty is his name— the Holy One of Israel is your Redeemer..."

And for a few moments, I forgot the pain of being alone in that room and I danced. With the best dancer in the place. He knew what he was doing..skilled and strong, he spun me around and made me feel like as long as he was leading, I could do anything.

Singled out to dance with the Master. This is the reality of my life right now and while it might not be what I was expecting, I am honored.


His,
Tracey

Comments :

11 comments to “Singled Out”
B.J. Robertson said...
on 

AMEN! :)
Miss Tracey, that was beautiful!

chinwe said...
on 

Love this. So poetically written. So biblically sound. Bless you. Chinwe

Anonymous said...
on 

You made me cry....so wonderful the Lord shows Himself and how much he loves us in all situations. Sue

Anonymous said...
on 

Like dancing with the stars! Who better to dance with than the Master. Thanks for sharing your heart. You look wonderful!
Carol

nasHudson said...
on 

Tracey,
This story is so amazing! Thanks for sharing; it's a message I found great comfort in! Keep cruising, home-girl!
Best Wishes,
-Shon "Cruise Man 3000"

Anonymous said...
on 

I was also really touched by this...to tears as well. I feel as long as I am letting Him lead me, and me following that lead, how can I go wrong?!

Anonymous said...
on 

When you have the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance... You danced! That was brave, Tracey, and I know the Master will hand you over to the perfect partner someday when He's done teaching you the steps! <3 ~Jen

Anonymous said...
on 

Been feeling more than a little weary of being passed over all the time and I read this. Wow. I so *freakin'* needed to see this.

Jill

Anonymous said...
on 

Tracey,
Isaiah 54:4-5 is one of my favorite scriptures. Living almost 16 years as a virtuous single mom, that scriptures upholds me and reminds me I have the best husband around! I also like to encourage my fb friends with scripture on my page "FLYING SOLO."

Anonymous said...
on 

Thank-you so much for sharing this. What an awesome testimony for the Lord. You are a very beautiful lady. Keep living for Him!

Carli said...
on 

Feeling like a kindered spirit... I take salsa lessons a couple of times a week and love it! But I do often feel like the single girl in a world of pairs wondering where my dance partner is hiding. Thanks for the reminder that I always have my Dance Partner with me.

Post a Comment

Hey! Thanks for leaving a comment on our page. You can also email us: tmd@wrbs.com

Thanks, Tracey, Mike and Dave